Centre for School Physics
Directions of research
• Methods of increasing the effectiveness of learning physics in basic, secondary and higher education. Research is focused on the impact of integration of subjects, methods of active learning, empirical practices, problem solving, methods of increasing the interest in physics education. Basic and secondary schools are involved into school experiments.
• Measuring the effectiveness of learning physics. The objective is to develop a quick method to measure the effectiveness of learning which also takes into consideration the effect of natural forgetting.
• Detecting misconceptions in physics among Estonian students. The goal is to identify common misconceptions in physics and to find out what causes them among the students.
The Physics Education Centre organizes seminars of physics didactics for lecturers, students and teachers.
• Subjects related to didactics of physics • Pedagogical practice • Physics for students from Faculty of Social Sciences and Education During the last five years 13 bachelor’s, 18 master’s, 1 MSc and 1 PhD thesis were defended at the Physics Education Centre.
• Organizing complement and conversion training for physics teachers. • Participation in physics popularizing events (workshops, lectures at schools, Scientist´s Night etc.). • Organizing the course Didactics of Science for Estonian higher education lecturers, supported by Primus. • Compilation of physics teaching materials for basic and secondary schools.