Laboratory of Theoretical Physics
|W. Ostwaldi 1, 50411 Tartu
B-wing 3rd floor
We study the problems of high energy physics, theories of gravitation and mathematical physics. The main topics include
- extensions of Einstein's general relativity, geometrical foundations of gravity, theoretical cosmology: geometric foundations of gravity, inflation, dark energy, dark matter;
- phenomenology of electroweak and strong interactions in the Standard Model and beyond, taking into account mass and polarisation effects;
- relativistic quantum information theory.
Current research projects and networks
- Team grant "Gauge gravity: unification, extensions and phenomenology" (2019−2023) PRG356 T. Koivisto, M. Hohmann, L. Järv.
- Center of Excellence "Dark Side of the Universe" (2016-2022) TK133 M. Hohmann, S. Bahamonde, S. Groote, L. Järv, T. Koivisto, P. Kuusk, C. Pfeifer, M. Krššák, M. Saal, J. Gigante Valcárcel.
- Postdoc grant "Energy conditions and singularities in the teleparallel equivalent of general relativity" (2019−2020) MOBJD423 S. Bahamonde.
- Postdoc grant "New insights and prospects for observing the dynamical effects of a space-time torsion in strongly magnetized neutron stars and black holes" (2020-2021) MOBJD541 J. Gigante Valcárcel.
- COST network "Cosmology and Astrophysics Network for Theoretical Advances and Training Actions" (CANTATA) M. Hohmann, S. Bahamonde, M. Krššák.
- COST network "Quantum gravity phenomenology in the multi-messenger approach" (CA18108), C. Pfeifer, M. Hohmann, L. Järv.
- L. Järv, P. Kuusk, M. Saal, O. Vilson, "Invariant quantities in the scalar-tensor theories of gravitation", Phys. Rev. D 91 (2015) 024041 [at inSPIRE].
- M. Hohmann, "Parametrized post-Newtonian limit of Horndeski’s gravity theory", Phys. Rev. D 92 (2015) 064019 [at inSPIRE].
- L. Järv, K. Kannike, L. Marzola, A. Racioppi, M. Raidal, M. Rünkla, M. Saal, H. Veermäe, "Frame-Independent Classification of Single-Field Inflationary Models", Phys. Rev. Lett. 118 (2017) 151302 [at inSPIRE].
- M. Hohmann, L. Järv, U. Ualikhanova, "Covariant formulation of scalar-torsion gravity", Phys. Rev. D 97 (2018) 104011 [at inSPIRE].
- L. Järv, M. Rünkla, M. Saal, O. Vilson, "Nonmetricity formulation of general relativity and its scalar-tensor extension", Phys. Rev. D 97 (2018) 124025 [at inSPIRE].
- V. Palge, J. Dunningham, S. Groote, H. Liivat, "Relativistic entanglement of two particles driven by continuous product momenta" Phys. Rev. A 98 (2018) 052322 [at inSPIRE].
- S. Groote, J. Körner, "Coordinate space calculation of two- and three-loop sunrise-type diagrams, elliptic functions and truncated Bessel integral identities", Nucl. Phys. B 938 (2019) 416 [at inSPIRE].
- J. Beltrán Jiménez, L. Heisenberg, T. Koivisto, S. Pekar, "Cosmology in f(Q) geometry", Phys. Rev. D 101 (2020) 103507 [at inSPIRE].
Almost all of our recent papers are listed at the inSPIRE database.
Tomi Sebastian Koivisto
Sebastián Alejandro Bahamonde Beltrán
|Daniel Kristoffer Blixt
PhD student in physics
Ernest Michael Priidik Gallagher
- Teodor Borislavov Vasilev (Madrid) 2020
- Nicoleta Voicu (Brasov) 2020, 2018 CANTATA short term scientific mission
- Vladimir Mostepanenko (St. Petersburg) 2020
- Galina Klimchitskaya (St Petersburg) 2020
- Alejandro Jiménez Cano (Granada) 2019
- Alexey Golovnev (Cairo) 2019
- Tom Złośnik (Prague) 2019
- Kai Flathmann (Oldenburg) 2019 DoRa+ scholarship
- Aleksander Kozak (Wroclaw) 2019
- Sergey Vernov (Moscow) 2019
- Elena Emtsova (Moscow) 2019 DoRa+ scholarship
- Orville Damaschke (Oldenburg) 2018
- Kevin Croker (Hawaiʻi) 2015-2016 Fulbright U.S. Student Program
- Alexey Toporensky (Moscow) 2015
The predecessor of the laboratory was the theoretical physics research group in the Institute of Physics, Mathematics and Mechanics, founded in 1947 under the Estonian Academy of Sciences. In the 1960s the expanding group was called the Sector of Theoretical Physics and Mathematics, then in the Institute of Physics and Astronomy. The Laboratory of Theoretical Physics exists since 1986, in the Institute of Physics, which continued to belong to the Estonian Academy of Sciences until 1997 when it was subsumed into the University of Tartu.
In 2015 a part of the Laboratory/Chair of Field Theory (formerly Chair of Theoretical Physics, Department of Physics, University of Tartu) was joined with Laboratory of Theoretical Physics.